Just New Warrior

Breaking News


4 October 2006

ANOREXIA STUMPS MIRIAM’S DOCTORS

Doctors express concern the Sen. Miriam Defensor Santiago, who has been diagnosed with anorexia, continue to lose weight.

From 160 lbs. in June, the senator is now down to 135 lbs., and her weight continues to fall, she told senate media.

Concern also been expressed by her colleagues, who often mistakes her illness for anorexia nervosa, which has been proved to be fatal in many cases.

Santiago continues on sick leave from the Senate, but she attends session when her presence is indispensable.

For example, she delivered a sponsorship speech for her billboard ban act, and recently presided at a committee hearing of the Commission on Appointments which saw the confirmation of 31 career diplomats.

Santiago said that her doctors, despite extensive laboratory test, have been unable to locate the source of her loss of appetite.

Her doctors, all internist; Dr. Esperanza Cabral, who specializes in cardiology, Dr. Mejia, who specializes in kidney, and Dr. Nicolas, who specializes in gastrointestinal cases.

Santiago said that Pres. Arroyo has nominated her for the post of Rector of the United Nations University at Tokyo, and she has been shortlisted, but might not be able to attend the required interview in Geneva at the end of the month.

“I specialize in international law, and would have wanted to return through the UN where I served when I was younger. But it seems like I will be too weak to travel and to submit to an extensive interview by the end of the month. I have requested for a waiver, but will have to abide by the consequences. I am very distressed that I might have to give this post a miss,” Santiago said.

The senator added that when the Senate break begins in October 14, she will likely fly for diagnosis to Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles where her sister works as a doctor.

“I feel like I am going, going, and soon be gone. Just call me the disappearing senator,” Santiago quipped.

She said that her anorexia which has caused her to lose 25 lbs. in four months is rendering her physically weak and dizzy.

“I have been so athletic in my life that my problem is not only medical but also attitudinal. I am very frustrated that I cannot even workout in my own home gym,” she said.
-o0o-